Saturday, October 6, 2007

Octoberfest 2007: Paulaner versus Dogtoberfest

Round 1 of Octoberfest begins!


Coat of Arms: About even. Paulaner's was a little clearer, but I kind of am letting this go since I made the mistake of chilling these in the freezer, then had to go tend to my 5 year old, then ended up leaving them in for too long. Interestingly, the Paulaner did not freeze, whereas the Dogtoberfest did partially freeze, resulting in the slight slushiness you see towards the top of the glass. Paulaner has the traditional edge.
First Pass:

Paulaner: A notably distinctive flavor to it, a crisp start with a malted roll as it went down.

Dogtoberfest: A more even flavor throughout, with a well-balanced if less obvious malted flavoring to it. Dogtoberfest has the better first impression. Paulaner is shaken, but not thrown off. Additional passes will be required.

Second, Third and Fourth Passes:

Paulaner: The gentle waves of maltiness and other flavors I am still trying to put a word too (pumpkin caramel?) washed over and won me over. Imagine having a pitcher of this stuff at the bar.

Dogtoberfest: The same even, enjoyable flavor throughout. I would drink this again; in fact, its the best I've tried from this brewer.

WINNER: PAULANER. More complex, and more enjoyable the longer I drank it.

No comments: