Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Octoberfest: Round 1

Weihenstephaner Festbier versus Hofbrau Munchen Oktoberfest




Coat of Arms: The much lighter colors of these beers was surprising after the first few were of such a darker color. The Weihenstephaner seemed to have a little more substance to it, even with its lighter color. Its color would later be reflected in its taste. The Hofbrau frankly seemed a little flat looking.


Passes: These two beers from these old horse brewers seemed to be a little lacking. Perhaps the fuller bodied flavors of the first few have biased me. The Hofbrau had a rather pungent odor that was not entirely pleasant, and its flavor had a bland bitterness to it with little else that I could appreciate. The Weihenstephaner at least had some distinct flavors to it. A lemon fizziness with a bitter finish is the best way I can describe it. I didn't enjoy this one too much at first either but I acquired more of a taste for it.

WINNER: Weihenstephaner

No comments: